John William McCauley and Verda Waller Hankins (*Paternal Grandparents, McCauley)
116 Years Ago: John William McCauley and Verda Waller Hankins married on 27 September 1904 at her parents’ home in Earlington, Hopkins County, Kentucky.
This announcement about their wedding ran in the Earlington newspaper, The Bee, a few days later.
“Mr. William McCauley of Daniel Boone, and Miss Verdia Hankins, of this city, were united in marriage at the residence of the bride’s parents Tuesday evening at 7:30 o’clock Rev. James Dame, of Manitou, officiating. The groom is an industrious miner and the bride is the daughter of Rev. Lee Hankins, of this city, and an estimable young lady. Their many friends extend congratulations.”
Verda’s brother, Dick, had introduced the couple the previous year. He met Will while they were both working for a coal company in Hopkins County.
Will and Verda settled in Daniel Boone, where they lived until moving to Greenville in neighboring Muhlenberg County around 1908. They had eleven children, seven daughters and four sons, between 1905 and 1932.
Golden Gladys McCauley (*Aunt, McCauley)
- Married William Ferman Dukes 98 Years Ago: 27 September 1922, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky
- Gladys’ Parents: John William McCauley and Verda Waller Hankins
- Ferman’s Parents: James William Dukes and Elvira Jane Dockins
Henry Goodloe and Frances Diana Kemp (*6th Great-grandparents, Hankins)
- Married 269 Years Ago: 27 September 1751, Caroline County, Virginia
- Henry’s Parents: George Goodloe and Diana Minor
Emma Taylor (*1st Cousin, twice removed, Taylor)
- Died 118 Years Ago: 28 September 1902, Rockcastle County, Kentucky
- Buried: Ramsey-Taylor Cemetery, Renfro Valley, Rockcastle County, Kentucky
- Parents: Josiah Love Taylor and Mary Alice Kirby
Cyndia Hopkins (*1st Cousin, twice removed, Hopkins)
- Born 118 Years Ago: 29 September 1902, Harlan County, Kentucky
- Parents: William Columbus Hopkins and Martha Ella Collins
Ephram Simpson (*Husband of 2nd Great-grandmother, Hopkins)
- Died 97 Years Ago: 30 September 1923, Lincoln County, Kentucky
- Spouse: Eliza Hopkins
Thomas Richard Hankins (*Great-uncle, Hankins)
- Married Edith Rhea Jackson 108 Years Ago: 3 October 1912, Davidson County, Tennessee
- Dick’s Parents: Thomas Leander Hankins and Samantha Hankins
- Rhea’s Parents: William H. Jackson and Susan Pope
*Each person’s relationship to me and the surname of the grandparent through which the relationship falls are in parentheses after their name. Please email me for additional information.